Saturday, January 10, 2015

As I said before, the internet has increased the availability of finding family records to a degree no one could have imagined.  Years ago I had no way of knowing all of the information that I know now about my family, about circumstances, about my personal history, and I'm forever thankful.
For years I struggled to find information on my great grandmother, on and off line.  My dad remembered his dad talking about her so fondly and the only photo I have of her is tin plate image (scanned and preserved) that was framed in my great aunt Hazel's house.  
From what grampa told me, she was a  ginger like me, which made my search even more personal.  I felt a mysterious connection to her that I couldn't explain but now that I've found her death certificate...yup, just the other day, I know I was meant to solve the mystery of how, when and where she passed away.  
Hopefully I can find someone in PA, near the cemetery, to take a photo of her grave marker and send it to me.  It would be the final piece of the puzzle and put Maggie to rest, at least in my heart and mind.
My journey doesn't end with finding Maggie though.  After years of research I have her family tree going back many many generations but my grandfather's paternal side seems to come to the proverbial brick wall each time I try a new avenue to explore.  It can be frustrating, infuriating even when this happens, but each time I make just a little progress I know I'll find the next piece!
Many of you know me and know that I don't give up easily, on anything!  I'll keep looking, researching and asking questions until I find something to tie them all together.  There are always new records to be uncovered, documented and uploaded from a variety of sites that I frequent.  It's not as easy as it looks on TV since I'm not a celebrity that the history channel will fly all over the world to find out who my ancestors were and find the unique stories that are uncovered through other people's hard work.  I'm simply one, spellbound, brown-eyed ginger seeking connections ever since I was handed mimeographed pages of family history from my mother's side when I was a teenager.  
Thank you to my great uncle's wife for bringing their family to life...my life!  I'm forever grateful!


No comments:

Post a Comment